Well, ok. Maybe they aren't really bruises that show up, but my muscles are sore like they got hit hard enough to bruise! Almost. Sort of. Well, I have two spots that twinge if I move them. Well, if I stretch them too much. Ok, ok! They only hurt if I stretch and tense them in just the precisely right way, but HEY! I have bruises!
Just in case I lost anyone on the connection between the blog title and those first sentences I assure you the connection is pretty much only existent in my own mind. I'll see if I can't take you along the trail that connects the two.
Starting point - I'm a guy. All sorts of oddities and weirdness involved with that, but if I didn't lose you there, keep on coming.
First step - I like rough-housing and martial arts.
Second step - Some across-the-street neighbors happen to be into, and currently practicing, martial arts. Germaine to this anfractuous mental walk is the husband, A, who is an ex-marine. (sorry, not ex-marine, a non-active service marine)
Third step - Last night we worked out together, doing lots of one-steps from both our respective styles, and tossing in several self-defense exercises.
Fourth step - We're up for training again this evening!!!! There's the connection!
We've got different styles of martial arts we're training in right now, but very similar outlooks on martial arts and self defense. So now I've got a friend who is willing to knock me around, train with me, and even puts up with my particular brand of eccentricity by being willing for a second round.
It has been years since I've had someone who I can chat martial arts with in a meaningful way. I've run into a couple people at work or other acquaintances who have taken some classes in the past, but that's about it. A couple boys at church took lessons for almost a year, but were/are a bit young to get into good discussions. (Their school was also, um, following a different concept of martial arts. i.e. They're a bunch of cream puffs!) But no one has been even the slightest bit interested in getting together for some impromptu training, or discussing techniques or training.
Last night though, I got to talk and practice some serious martial arts and I realized how long it had been. I imagine most everyone has had a friend with whom you just "click" in some area. It may be cooking, books, games, travel, theology, ecology, politics, whatever. It may not be in every area, like a life-long, bosom buddy, but in some area you have a great meeting of the minds. It's nice. It's good.
I just re-found that in martial arts areas.
He gave me some bruises yesterday.
He's going to give me more.
He's a good friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment